Thursday, January 29, 2009

Cue Eric Clapton...

Because I am at a crossroads...

Music is a huge part of my life, by the way. I usually have a mental soundtrack going on in my head to go along with whatever is happening at the moment. So pardon my extremely old references when I make them... they make sense to me.

I'm considering using this "no job" time period to go back to school. I really only started to consider school again within the past 3-4 weeks and it wasn't really in reference to no job, but more about what I personally hope to achieve with my life. Since then, the thoughts have become a lot more about "no job", but have factored my personal feelings in a little.

I have a couple of thoughts-

One:

a short term deal where I recertify for a professional license I held previously - in order to find a GOOD job quickly. I checked and this profession has no less than 15 full time, well-paying openings in my area. The recert could be as short as 6 weeks- so I could be back working pretty quickly.

It wouldn't be the job I really want to do, but it's a job I am good at, pays well, offers insurance, and there is a need for it in my area. It would be very good for my family's stability. Is this good for me? I don't know. Will I regret it? I don't know.

Two:

is to really go back to school for something I actually want to study. It would be hard. It would probably be expensive. But I would have a degree (at least 2 year, and then possibly transfer to a university for a Bachelor's).

Would it result in a job? I don't know. Would I be glad I did it? I don't know. Can I afford it with a 15 yr old and a 12 yr old following behind me? I don't know.


School is not something I have really had an interest in. I tried it, it didn't work, and I am not sure how well I would do now that I am an adult with kids & house etc to worry about too. I don't have any idea how I could afford it with no job but apparently people do it. I don't know if more debt is the answer to my situation now. I don't know that I'd be any sort of good return on investment.

So I'm probably going to visit my local community college Monday to see what I need to do if I decide to try school again.

They don't bite, do they?

No comments: