Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Some random stuff

John Williams' "Air & Simple Gifts" brought me to tears. "Simple Gifts" is a favorite... It's always been one of my favorite hymns and/or religious songs, reminding me of my childhood in the local UU fellowship group and my strong Irish heritage. (So much of the blessing is reminiscent of the old Irish benediction "may the road rise to meet you, may the wind be forever at your back...") The new take on it was interesting, not too "majestic" (my main complaint about Williams' compositions) very resonant, and short enough to keep your attention. I really loved it.

Speaking of Irish heritage, I don't always agree with Mr. Kennedy's politics, but I'm sincerely praying for him. There is in him the man that wrote one of the best national treasures of the modern generation, the eulogy for his brother. Anyone with that depth of passion, that knowledge, understanding of man, language and the common good is well worth a few prayers.


I found out that my former employer is doing layoffs. I encountered some of these people Friday when I was finally eligible to apply for unemployment. I heard of many of my previous colleagues who have lost their jobs. I must admit with full disclosure I was very unkind about one of them and I deeply regret it. I have to watch myself more carefully- it could be ME someone says something about to someone else... I blew it, I own it, and I have asked forgiveness for it.

I had the chance to help 2 people with their resume yesterday. I offered to help our friend KM and someone heard me talking about my experience and passed my name on to their friend. Said friend emailed me and I sent some advice back. I hope it works for them.


I'm still under consideration for a very good professional position about an hour south of me, as well as with a local clinic. I have an "interview" tomorrow, but I did some research and it's another "business opportunity" where you are an independent contractor without any support system. I'm going, because every person I meet is an opportunity. I've got to be positive about and to everyone I encounter.

because it could be ME that someone says something about to someone else.

No comments: