Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Story of the Dude (Returns & Rejoinders)

I spend another day with the Dude before I head out to my grandparents and then France.

I leave for another country feeling very good about myself- I have a boyfriend, I am going on an international adventure, and things are good.

For my exchange program, I've been paired with a 22 year old guy, but he has a younger sister who is 16 and I spend a bit more time with her.

My host family has a villa on the beach in St. Tropez, and we are spending 2 weeks there for their vacation. There are two Swiss boys about the same age as myself and my host sister, and they are WAY hot. They spend a good week hanging out with us on the beach, and there is a lot of good natured flirting. I enjoy my trip, but at one point I curse my timing and The Dude's presence in my life.

The moment where I wish my luck was different passes and I realize I have no chance with these very gorgeous men, and I am glad I have the Dude.

I come back in early August from my trip, and things with The Dude & I are intense. There is no doubt in my mind that he is the RIGHT guy for me, and I enjoy the deepening relationship. We've already been through a lot together, we've developed a strong friendship, and we have seen bad sides of each other. I am confident this is a good thing and will only grow.

The Dude and several room mates (including Tune) throw a party in the late summer- late August or early September to the best of my memory. The Dude has a few drinks. He's enjoying what he calls a "Piledriver"- a VERY strong screwdriver. I'm not drinking- just enjoying the music, having a nice time, and hanging out. The Dude is in his own apartment, he's a legal adult, and it's a party- so he continues to drink.

Music is playing, and he is laying with his head in my lap. He looks at me and says-

"Not to sound presumptuous or anything, but you WILL marry me, right?"

My world stops. I don't see anything but him for a moment. I consider how well I know him. I consider that my dad adores him. I consider that he has been nothing but good to me and that I am truly happy.

"Of course I will."

There's no further discussion- no date, no ring, no plans; just that we intend to get married. That's enough for me, and I am fairly settled on the idea of a long engagement at this point.

2 weeks later, we're alone. We're having a quiet moment, being tender and just relaxing with each other; and he says:

"I want you to marry me."

My comment - now hilariously funny- but at the time completely serious:

"I'll say what I said the first time; Of course"

The Dude responds true to form- a little oblivious:

"What first time?"

I go on to tell him in pretty graphic detail when, where, and how he initially proposed. The Dude is more than a little embarrassed to admit he remembers absolutely nothing of the situation until I remind him, as he had WAY too much to drink that night.

THIS is the beginning of our commitment to each other...

He doesn't remember his first outburst, and I am patient enough to forgive him.

No comments: