Monday, August 17, 2009

She can't roll in her grave, she is not dead yet

I recently discovered something very strange. I discovered the fiction of Christopher Buckley (William F Buckley Jr's son) and I REALLY like it.

I think the guy is hysterical! His sense of humor really appeals to me- finding amusement in the obscure and obscene. I just love his stuff. I've been devouring whatever I can get my hands on- and while I don't totally understand it all, I find myself nodding my head and enjoying what he has to say in the political world as well.

I don't think I will ever tell my mother. There are just some things you do not share or say to your parents.

Telling your ULTRA Liberal, super crunchy, VERY granola, totally leftist mother that you enjoy and identify with one of the leading conservatives in the nation....maybe I'll keep that to myself.

It's interesting to discover how different I am from my parents- but also just as interesting to see our similarities. I like myself more and more every day- because I become more and more myself and less impressionable.

But don't tell my mom. She wouldn't understand....

2 comments:

donm61873 said...

Tell her it's ok... he's not a conservative anymore.

We threw him over the side when he endorsed Obama for the election. In fact, National Review removed him from their board.

So it's ok...

Besides, you'd think she'd be more up in arms about the friends you have being conservatives (rofl!).

"Oh, her" said...

If you enjoy reading an author or the opinions of a media personality and it pushes you to grow and stretch your mind, all the more power to you! I have friends who call me a liberal and I have other friends who consider me a conservative and I'm very amused by it all because I hold the same set of opinions regardless of whom I'm talking to.

What is important is reaching outside your comfort zone and questioning your status quo. Otherwise you can become too insular and caught up in limitations.

Listening to other people's ideas doesn't mean you will automatically assume those ideas as your own; neither does debating them. It is unfortunate that too many people, regardless of what viewpoint they hold, consider their opinion the only valid one.

You'll have to let me know which book(s) you enjoyed!