Saturday, August 23, 2008

PEACHES

I love peaches.

There is almost nothing in the universe better than a fresh peach.


One of my 3 brothers was recently married in Arkansas. On the way down, we saw stands and stands of fresh peaches- but I didn't buy any. I was killing myself for it later, but no peaches.


There's a little timy grocery store on the same block as my house. The owner Rick buys lots of fresh produce and had peaches the other day. I bought some because they smelled SO good, walking in the door. I couldn't resist.


I decided to make a cobbler. I'll be honest, I am not sure it turned out "right" but it tasted wonderful.



Look how beautiful these guys are! I cut them into halves, then quarters, then halves again.

Then I put them in a pan with a cup of water and a cup of sugar, a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon to make a simple syrup. I boiled the misture until the sugar was dissolved and let it simmer 7-10 minutes.

They will get soft and squishy, YUM.

While the peaches are simmering, take a stick of butter and put it into the bottom of a 2 quart baking dish. Put the dish in a 350 degree oven, and let the butter melt.

In a mixing bowl, mix 1 cup sugar and 3/4 cup flour together. Slowly add 3/4 cup milk to the flour mixture until completely blended, making a silky batter.

Carefully take the baking dish with the melted butter out of the oven, and slowly pour the batter into the dish. DO NOT MIX. Then add your peaches. Again, do NOT mix.

Bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes until batter is golden brown.

As I said, I am not sure mine turned out right, because the batter is supposed to rise over the peaches and become a crust, and mine did not. It cooked into a chewy, texture rich cake-like stuff that tasted fabulous, but was UNDER the peaches. Still Yummy!

I am still playing with this, but it was so good!

2 comments:

glitzen said...

oooh, that looks just fabby! u r making me so hungry. i think i can almost smell it from here...yum!

... said...

That looks absolutely fabulous! We LOVE peaches here and I wouldn't care if the crust rose over the peaches or not! I must go get some of this and attempt this recipe! TFS!