Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Bells

I live in a town of 1100 that is surrounded by cornfields on every side. The nearest town over 3000 people is 20+ miles away.

Our little town has a "co-op" or "consolidated" school of sorts- our school district of three farm towns merged with another farm town to make a 4 farm town district. Pretty much everyone in town either farms, has family that farms, or is related to the town's 3 founding families.

We only moved here 3 years ago and are none of the above categories. Being the new family in a small town has its challenges and takes some work. But that doesn't mean this is not home.

We live immediately north (by less than a block) of the railroad tracks that serve the grain elevator. Also south of us is the local Methodist church. The church has a bell carillion that plays every day at 6- and usually a different song every day. During the Christmas season they play carols I enjoy (and I really don't like Christmas carols) and every Christmas Eve they play Silent Night right before midnight.

The day the Dude & I moved in, we were working outside and I heard the bells from the church. They were playing "Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow", and as we stood in the yard, holding each other, the bells washed over us with the Blessing song in full glory.

I knew we were home right then. When our windows are open, I can hear the bells all the way in my kitchen. I always smile when they are playing.

Yesterday I was standing outside and heard the bells again and smiled, and was reminded of how much I love being here.

1 comment:

glitzen said...

oh that sounds just beautiful! the church in a town near here, where we do all our shopping, has beautiful bells. my parents got married there, so when i hear the bells, I imagine its 45 yrs ago, on the day they married. its so special!