Friday, February 13, 2009

Special Days

My SweetPea was recently discussing her favorite day. She loves Friday. She is all about the weekend and how much freedom Friday represents. She's always excited about Friday and looks forward to it all week.

Of course she wanted to know what MY favorite day of the week was. For many years, it has been Wednesday. I know lots of people that don't like it, but I do. I met the Dude on a Wednesday. For years, Wednesday was when I hung out with my friends (including the Dude) at gaming, at youth group, or just around town. I always looked forward to Wednesday.

But I've come to realize that my favorite day is changing. I think it's Tuesday now.

It's American Idol night. I dedicate that hour (or two) to spending time with my SweetPea, hanging out with her, watching singers, discussing our favorites, and generally enjoying each other. I learn more about her in that small window of time when we are on the couch eating "snacky food" and furiously writing down names & call-in numbers than I do all week.

For me, that's the best time in the world. I love having a chance to show my darling girl how important she is to me (enough that I have blocked off Tuesday night availability from any job application) and that we do have something in common.

She's been SweetPea for years- since she was teeny tiny. Within the past couple years, AT&T has started showing a commercial with that "SweetPea, apple of my eye" song showing a traveling Daddy and his little girl. Well, let me tell you, we had some tears at our house over it. The Dude is gone on Tuesday night at our store, and our SweetPea MISSES her daddy. That commercial would come on, and she would call him just to say hi. She knows that the Dude is home on Mondays (for the most part) and has taken to giving him extra hugs & kisses to last until Tuesday.

I love Tuesday and all the fun I have with her.

1 comment:

... said...

Awww. This is so sweet!