Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Being Challenged

I try really hard to avoid conflict or dealing with stuff that makes me upset. Usually, I make The Dude go scare whoever is making me cranky or I have someone run interference for me. Every now and then I threaten something crazy like refusing to make any more fudge and things get all better. But usually, I hide like a little girl and avoid, avoid, avoid.

Today, I acted like a "Big Girl" and dealt with a problem directly by myself.

I told someone that they were upsetting me.

I darn near puked the entire time I was talking to this person. I came close to crying and hyperventilating, too. I was so horribly nervous that this person would be mad and not like me anymore that I didn't want to tell them important stuff about how I felt.

I did it. And they didn't hate me. They actually listened and respected what I had to say.

I don't like this being challenged stuff. It's hard and makes me learn more new things about me.

Like, I have value.

Yeah, me.

You too.

2 comments:

... said...

Yay, H! Good for you!

I absolutely hate it as well, but am getting much better at it! I realize boundaries that need to be protected, and I want my daughter to grow up and be able to be deal with problems in an adult and rational way. But it's so flipping hard. I think we wouldn't be caring people if it wasn't.

glitzen said...

I have been a BIG chicken about a BIG problem too. And this week, I confronted the fact that my husband's best friend has been driving me crazy with phone calls, weird comments, suggestive stuff, etc. I was sooo scared to deal with it. I was soooo scared to tell my husband, and get him involved. But, it came to a head and I had to bite my lip and dive into the mess. I'm proud of myself..and I'm proud of you too! :)