Monday, December 15, 2008

'Tis the Season

As a general rule, I hate the "Christmas machine".

You know, the Illuminati that tells retailers to bring out wreaths and snowmen in September, to encroach on our other perfectly good and wonderful holidays, to spew out more "must have" crap, and to play OBNOXIOUS Christmas music incessantly from October until January.

Honestly. Christmas music (in my opinion) is bad enough at one or two songs a shot. To play LOTS of it, repeatedly is beyond annoying. It's a form of torture. (Maybe they should send THAT idea down to Guantanamo)

I don't hate all Christmas music- but much of it misses the point. Most of it is sentimental pablum, wishing for snow, goodies, sugar and that idyllic idea of Christmas that none of us can recreate at home.

I enjoy a few songs. To me, they are deeply reflective of what *I* feel Christmas is all about. Christmas isn't about stuff, or snow, or trees, or snowmen, or reindeer or Santa. Christmas is about Christ, and peace.

I was out with TallBoy recently, and I was occupied in my head with a bunch of things I "had to do". We sat down and ate our lunch somewhere and I didn't notice that they were playing Christmas music continuously until the 3rd song in. Then it hit me and I prepared for the worst- the sappy, giddy, goody-goody songs that are so popular.

Instead, it was an old version of one of my personal favorite Christmas songs-
The Little Drummer Boy

The simplicity of the gift the Drummer gave always strikes me. I'm ashamed that I have not always given "my best for him" when I hear this song. But I'm always encouraged that even a song, played by a child, is enough for my King. And that a simple gift, given with a willing heart, is truly precious.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I made a large batch of Christmas cards Saturday. I took some with me when I was at 'Gopher and made them out for a few of the guys there. (I have more to pass out yet.) One of the guys was a little dumbfounded- he really doesn't know me well. But he's a regular at our store and someone I wanted to share Christmas with.

He asked "why do I get a card? what's the deal?"

Another regular who knows me VERY well replied- "Because that's what she DOES."

Yeah, I make cards and I share things that are important to me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was given a very surprising Christmas present recently. Some friends of mine showed me that they care much more for me than I knew or imagined, and that they are willing to pick up my burdens and help me carry the load when it gets heavy. They showed me how friends care and nurture each other, even when it's sticky or you might get messy. Friendship is a simple idea, but a tough concept to master. Being shown a concrete example is often the best gift you can get. And I'm grateful.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Hey Loquacious! I wandered by from somewhere (can't remember where) and noticed you mentioned how you are making lots of cards to give away.

I maintain a letter writing web site and as I wander around the web if I notice someone who is promoting letter writing I will hand out the Message in a Bottle Award. So, congrats, you've won. :)

You can pick it up here:

http://www.passionforletters.com/message-in-a-bottle-site-award/

glitzen said...

Wonderful post! I love the simple Christmas songs, the ones that tell the story of Christ's birth. My absolute favorite is Oh Little Town. Love it.