Saturday, October 4, 2008

fall, drive to work

It's fall, so I thought I would share some of the beauty of central (flat) Illinois. I see this stuff on my way to work nearly every day. Some of it is MUCH prettier in the spring, some in the summer, and some in the fall. Almost nothing is really gorgeous in the winter except our little river when there is snow on the trees and the water is filming over. THAT is downright breathtaking.


I've got some corn, some general "out the window" scenery, and a few pictures of the sky as morning is breaking.












Our corn is *really * ready to come down. I know that the area farmers are trying to get their crops down and into the silos as quick as they can- these crops are precious to them. We heard about frost a couple counties over and the elevator across from my house was BOOMING the next day.








The light in the early morning is just beautiful. I love how it is breaking through the clouds here, illuminating little pieces of the world with brilliance.









Just the sunrise being inspiring, thrilling and spectacular. Love it. I see it every day and I am never unmoved.




A pretty grove along the side of the road on my way home.




This last one is an overpass that is being rebuilt. It was evaluated after the bridge collapse in Minnesota and deemed undriveable. The DOT came in about a month ago and started working. The work has been amazingly quick! They literally put warnings that the bridge would be out on a Monday and by the following Friday the bridge was GONE. Just this past week there was NO bridge at all- they were still working on the supports and pilings. I took this picture on Friday, and as you can tell, there is the beginnings of a bridge there now. They want it ready to drive on before November. Amazing what engineering and American workers can do.


-----------------------------------------------------


SweetPea and I went to a welcome wienie roast that our church held. (We have really only been going to this church for about 3 months.) It was at a small farm outside of another rural town nearby. The owner of the property raises beef cattle- and I have some pictures. He let SweetPea and a couple other kids go in the enclosure and FEED the cattle- SweetPea *loved* it. I'm fairly urban, so this was kind of new to me. The farm owner was very generous with his time and explained all about how he runs his cattle business (up to and including butchering). It was really kind of neat, and I really got to learn something totally new.


Here are some of his cattle, and their BEAUTIFUL calves can be seen in the left corner. They were SO pretty! I wanted to take one home, haha.







He also had a hay ride set up for the kids. Of course SweetPea wanted to go. Her friend "S" went with her and they had a blast. SweetPea practiced her "RockStar" look, and then posed nicely.









Of course, some of the parents wanted to ride too. It looked like everyone had a fun time.




It had been a LONG time since I had been to an old fashioned wienie roast. When I was young, my mom used to be friends with a guy that ran a Christmas tree farm. He used to do bonfires and haunted walks and cookouts all the time and we always went. It was really fun, we had a lot of room to run, and we ate until we nearly puked. We'd fall asleep on the way home in the car, and I'd wake up smelling all "woodsy" from the smoke. I really enjoyed myself today, and it brought back some truly wonderful memories.

3 comments:

... said...

What a beautiful ride to work. The photos of the sky and the sunrise are so pretty! I'm picturing you driving while snaping pictures with your camera!

Your daughter is adorable!

... said...

Oops - snapping! I do know how to spell!

Mandi said...

What beautiful photos! I live in Iowa and we went out on Sunday and took some pictures of the corn and harvest...love this time of year!