Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Books & Literature

I am a serious reading nut. I have actively been NOT reading for about 2 months now due to time issues. I just haven't had a minute where I felt I could devote myself to a book.

You see, when I read a book, that's ALL I do. I don't do laundry or wash dishes, or vacuum or put away laundry or put away dishes. or talk to the kids or The Dude, or pet the dog, or read the paper, or any of my other mundane life things. I sit in a comfy spot and read a book. I can (and do) often multi-task with TV, though. It drives The Dude CRAZY. He thinks I am reading and he'll channel hop, and I'll pipe up with "Hey, I was watching that".

Sunday I picked up a copy of Twilight at my friend's house and asked to borrow it. I've heard a lot about it but hadn't gotten a chance to read it yet. I had it done by Tuesday morning. Honestly, it is "meh", but I like some of the elements so I am interested in seeing where it goes. I have borrowed books 3 & 4 and TallBoy will get Book 2 from his school library for me.


Reading sort of runs in my family. My mom & stepfather are literature professors and my stepmom is a librarian. My stepmom's got an awesome living room that is floor to ceiling built-in bookshelves all the way around it (and the room is over 1000sqft)- and they are FULL of books. My dad is a consummate reader and always has been. All these people invested a lot in teaching me to read critically and to take away something more than just a story.

Books as an overall rule are some of my greatest friends. I adore finding inference, understanding tone, "listening" to voices, and gathering new places into my imagination and understanding. I truly find refuge in a good story- I especially like series with a fun character.

Books (fiction) are fun, inviting, and sort of disposable. Once I am done with one, I can move on and invest in something else. Literature is a different sort of thing entirely.

I couldn't possibly explain the major differences between casual fiction and literature, except that tone and intent are vastly different. This is mostly because I am not a literature studier or aficionado, but rather an explorer. I've read a great number of classics, a lot of modern American literature, a LOT of French lit, and some very unusual choices have come to me through friends, co-workers, the old book bin at my former employer, or my librarian friends through the years. Literature is something I hold onto and treasure for a long time, and utilize as a tool and place of learning as I change and grow.


My personal "place of solace" is Phantom Of the Opera by Gaston Leroux. it's got beauty, art, architecture, society, humanity, deceit, betrayal, revenge, and so much more. And it is very truly French- which I adore about it.

Any good finds lately? Anything you find yourself going back to again and again?

1 comment:

glitzen said...

Ooooh, I love books. Devour them. I am a speed reader too.
Right now I am reading Chosen By A Horse, which is awesome, and I just finished Sarah..a book about Sarah Palin. Enjoyed that too. I also just finished Wait Until Morning, which is about a drunk driving accident and its aftermath. Its an excellent book.
On the docket is The Ministry of Motherhood, The Mermaids Chair, and The Accused by Griffin. I love a variety! I love self help, books about animals, short stories, autobios, Reader's Digest, Christian Fiction, True Crime, etc. Not so much true crime as I used to though, and nothing about children. My heart cannot handle it since I became a mother.
Tell me your last three favorite books!